Bling Ring Boutique Jewelry Care
Bling Boutique provides High Quality Sterling Silver jewelry, and conflict free gems and jewels.
Fine & sterling silver naturally oxidize after it's been worn and stored, due to natural body chemistry, environment, and certain chemicals. The best way to prevent tarnishing is by caring for your jewelry properly and following these jewelry care tips.
With time, any sterling silver jewelry piece that is exposed to air will tarnish. Sterling silver is a mixture of metals with at least 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals.
And it is the other metals, usually copper, that oxidize in the air resulting in the build up of a tarnished layer on sterling silver jewelry.
Additionally contact with materials like cosmetics, hairspray, perfume, deodorant, body lotion, bleach, etc., can speed up the tarnishing process.
Here are some good, standard jewelry care tips
- DO NOT ever use silver cleaner. This will remove the black from the letters.
- To polish your silver jewelry, use a silver polishing cloth only.
- Remove your jewelry when performing tasks that may cause physical damage. i.e. cleaning, gardening, swimming, working out etc.
- Avoid exposure to chemicals such as chlorine, bleach, ammonia etc.
- Put all jewelry on after you have applied all cosmetics, perfumes, lotions and hairspray. These products can contain chemicals that can damage your jewelry.
- If handled properly, gold filled jewelry should only require buffing.
- Remove all jewelry when bathing